- Chief Information Officer
- Vice President/Director
- IT manager
- Enterprise architect
- Process architect
- Chrome v19.0+ or
- Mozilla Firefox v20.0+ or
- Microsoft Internet Explorer v9.0+
- EPF Composer v1.5+ or
- Rational Method Composer v7.5+
The APG TOGAF Process Library (ATPL) is an innovative and unique way of using the industry’s leading open enterprise architecture development method and framework – The Open Group Architecture Framework TOGAF® 9.1. All portions of the specification are represented in the ATPL and are organized into the same seven parts that are found in the printed book, PDF version, and HTML version (from The Open Group’s website – the official source of the TOGAF standard).
The ATPL contains all of the process guidance found throughout TOGAF (in the form of guidelines, concepts, and checklists), as well as work breakdown structures (WBS) for the Architecture Development Method (ADM).
With the ATPL, end user organizations now can base their enterprise architecture (EA) practices on TOGAF and create organization-specific versions of TOGAF that represent the concerns of their business and technology environments. With the ATPL, TOGAF can now be integrated with other processes, such as IBM Unified Process® (RUP®), Open Unified Process (OpenUP), Rational Harmony™ processes, ITIL®, COBIT, in addition to organization-specific processes.
As The Open Group releases new versions of TOGAF, APG will also create new versions of the ATPL (which will be freely available to licensed customers). The flexibility of the ATPL Framework allows for easy migration of an organization’s existing additions and changes to future versions of TOGAF.
With the published ATPL website, architecture practitioners now have a new way of navigating the content found in TOGAF using a familiar tree view explorer that allows one to drill down to specific content rapidly. Users can also search the TOGAF content from the website.
Features & Benefits
- Complete representation of TOGAF 9.1
- Proven, standards-based approach
- Widespread adoption
- Customize TOGAF to organization needs
- Integrate TOGAF with other life cycles and processes
- Provide stable platform for migrating to future versions of TOGAF
- Establish an effective and sustainable enterprise architecture program
Organization Support Services
Armstrong Process Group (APG) offers a set of services to organizations that wish to adopt TOGAF and the ATPL as a part of their enterprise architecture practice. APG’s experience helping organizations adopt new processes and practices, combined with contributions to standards such as TOGAF, SPEM, and EPF, allows APG to provide a proven set of best practices for successful process adoption.
- Strategic Alignment and Planning
This activity consists of meeting with executive management and sponsors to understand business drivers, expected objectives, necessary requirements, and relevant constraints for the enterprise architecture practice. APG can work with organizations to establish a vision and build a plan for implementing and deploying the new practice.
- Establish Method Team
It is critical to define the organization requirements for the team of people who will support the process adoption and process definition activities. APG can help accelerate the method team during its startup by applying proven best practices for process adoption. APG can also help establish an effective tool environment for requirements management, process modeling, process authoring, change request management, and configuration management.
- Practice Definition and Integration
APG has found that approaching practice and process adoption like any other project (with plans, budget, resources, requirements, etc), is key to an organization demonstrating its commitment and long-term viability and sustainability of the new EA practice. APG can work with the organization’s method team and sponsors to provide detailed planning, schedules, and estimates, based on clearly specified requirements. APG can help the method team determine how to best extend the ATPL, change existing TOGAF elements, add organization specific elements and integrate the tailored EA practice with other critical processes. APG can also help acquire, install, and configure any EA tools that are needed to support the defined practice.
- Practice Deployment
As the practice begins to become more clearly defined, APG can provide support to help deploy the new practice to the organization, including professional development and certification programs, curriculum design and delivery.
Customizing the ATPL
Licensees of the APG TOGAF Process Library can customize it to create their own versions of TOGAF. Using the EPF Composer tool (an open-source, freely available tool), organizations can extend ATPL method content and method configurations to represent their tailoring of TOGAF and enterprise architecture. For example, with the ATPL and EPF Composer, an organization can:
- Change names of TOGAF phases, activities, and deliverables
- Add organization-specific content (phases, activities, deliverables, guidelines, examples)
- Integrate TOGAF with other life cycles such as RUP, ITIL, and PMI
- Add domain-specific content related to financial services, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, systems engineering, government, and defense, for example
- Add technology-specific content such as service oriented architecture (SOA), system platforms (IBM, HP, Microsoft, Sun, etc) and package platforms (SAP, Oracle, etc)
- Add tool-specific content for products from companies such as IBM Rational, Sparx, MEGA, and Troux
- Provide collaborative Wiki-based environment for discussing and evolving use of processes on real projects
- Enable translation and localization of method content into different languages
Please contact APG Sales for more details on how to license the ATPL for internal use.